Login

Delegate
Login

Chapter 3 out today (and PDFs updated)

The DfT website is now allowing you to download PDFs of all the new chapters (1, 3, 4, 5 and 7). Chapter 3 (the only one dated 2019) is not yet showing as available to buy from the TSO Shop, so the PDF is the only way to get it at the moment.

More to follow when I've had a chance to look at the new Chapter 3.

Comments

• edited March 2019
    An interesting point has come up regarding the definition of the words "authorised vehicles" on a bus lane or bus gate sign. Authorities have been using these words for a number of different exemptions, but TSM3 associates them very closely with private hire vehicles to the extent that it might now be unfair to mini-cab drivers if they're not exempted. Section 9.1.1 says:
    Where certain vehicles, such as private hire vehicles (minicabs), are permitted to use a facility, this is indicated by the legend “authorised vehicles”. Where other vehicles such as heavy goods vehicles are to be admitted, the signs will require authorisation and guidance should be sought from the national authority.
    The second sentence seems to me to be crucial: signs exempting "other vehicles" will need special authorisation, i.e. the standard authorised vehicles variant cannot be used for them. Does that mean 'other than PHVs'?
  • Any idea when Chapter 6 will be published? It's referenced several times in Chapter 3.
  • I thinks it's likely to be some time this year, perhaps the autumn. Being a totally new volume Chapter 6 has needed a lot more work than the other chapters. Interim drafts are good and comprehensive but with lots of further editing and finishing touches needed.
  • Printed copies of Chapter 3 became available yesterday (at £45). Link to Chapter 3 in TSO Shop