Login

Delegate
Login

Diag.545 Symbol As a Road Marking

I'm sure this has been asked before - probably by me...

There's a Scottish version of a document wherein there's a note that the Scottish ministers at some point allowed a blanket authorisation to use the Diagram 545 symbol and surrounding triangle as a road marking.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to find this my mind is blank?

Also, does anyone have an AutoCAD detail or a working drawing for said symbol?

Comments

• "Pass" on the documentation. As far as a CAD drawing goes, all you would need to do would be to change the Y axis value of the sign to whatever factor was needed to elongate it.
  • As a white road marking, it is so widely authorised for particular locations or authorities in England that there is a DfT drawing of it: NP545RM. You can see it in this area-wide authorisation for Milton Keynes for example: link.

It has also been authorised for individual places in Scotland, which implies that there's no Scotland-wide authorisation. The official list (without drawings unfortunately) is here.

Many authorities put down a coloured road marking, presumably without authorisation, but it usually looks dreadful after a couple of years.
  • I see several of the coloured variants, possibly as they used to appear in some lining design packages (with a giant "NOT PRESCRIBED" warning!).

They do look terrible when not maintained. The other frequently seen example is just putting the word SCHOOL on the road.

I remain to be convinced if this is any more effective than just using a larger upright sign.