Sources of CPD
Professional development can be achieved in hundreds of ways - reading is just as important as attending courses.
- Day to day resources in your ordinary work; colleagues, user groups, lunchtime seminars
- Suppliers' promotional literature and seminars IHE conferences and courses, with discounts for members
- IHE approved short courses and accredited providers
- IHE local branches; visits, meetings and seminars
- Local college and university evening classes and short courses, which cover a wide range of topics
- The Association for Project Safety, Symmons Madge and TTT offer CDM training
- Technical press: , NCE and Surveyor (both weekly), Local Transportation Today (every two weeks), Highways, Trasnport Planning and Traffic Engineering and Control (monthly)
- Royal Town Planning Institute's local branches publish CPD newsletters and publishes an online learning resource: www.planningmatters.co.uk
- DfT website for new codes and regulations
- Institution of Civil Engineers for details of local association meetings and courses
- Thomas Telford Training (TTT) and PTRC have an extensive range of courses
- City of Bath College Highways Open Tech offers specialist distance learning in maintenacne and traffic and short courses
- Open University provides materials in management and computing
- Highways training centres in several counties offer maintenance, safety and management courses
- OUAB provides NVQs in road safety, traffic engineering and systems management, transportation planning, transportation technical support, highway maintenance, management and technology management
- EdExcel provides NVQs in design, planning supervision and site management
- The NBS Civil Engineering Channel a subscription service for companies, offering learning services online or on DVD/CD
- www.cpdevents.org.uk is the Construction Industry's database.
- University of Derby Asphalt distance learning diploma
- Aston CPD Centre: Designing Infrastructure for Cyclists - assessed distance learning modules, in association with Aston University.
IHE Professional Review
Applicants need to:
- Show commitment to structured professional development by keeping an action plan drawing on any of the above sources (and more)
- Complete 3, 7 or 10 'CPD Days'- formal, off the job CPD events- in the two years before submitting their Review submission.