An easy to understand and use guide to all that is relevant to the Public Realm bringing together technical details and design principles that impact on our environment.
Local Transport Today
Design better streets
Sightline designinng for people with low vision (Oct 2010)
This way for better Residential Streets (includes10 casestudies).
Living with Risk
Paved with Gold:economic value of good street design
A Councillor's guide to urban design
Creating successful Masterplans.
Agreeing a procurement strategy.
Spaceshaper toolkit to measure the quality of public space before changing it. See examples.
- Placecheck helps professionals and communities to analyse places and kickstart action. Quick results, people-focused and cheap!
- RUDI with the Academy of Urbanism has published PLACEmaking its annual guide "celebrating innovation and quality in urban living".
- Participation in Placemaking - Scotland aims to challenge traditional ways of thinking and working on making places and community empowerment.
All you need to know about UK Home Zones. You can now load your own casestudies of home zones or similar developments.
Provides access to digital multimedia focusing on urbanism.
Urban Design London
- A network supported by LGA, CABE and TfL to promote good design in London. Runs open training courses and web forums and website has video training and information portal.
- Better Streets: Practical Steps - Mayor of London statement on improving public spaces (roads, squares, high street) 2009-2012
Resources for Urban Design Information
Urban Design Compendium
English Partnership's, now part of the Homes and Communities Agency, selection of case studies showcasing good design. Add your own. Learn from others. Practical guidance on delivering development.
Section 5 "Design, Innovation and Balanced Decisions" of this excellent Practical Guidance to Appendix C of the UK Roads Board "Well Maintained Highways - Code of Practice" offers significant reassurance on designing to Manual for Streets and shared space concepts.
Streets for People
- DIY Streets are SUSTRANS pilot traffic calming casestudies and guidance (April 2010).
Secured by Design at 20
ALOs and CPDAs provide authorities with free advice on environmental and design factors that are known to influence crime.
- Design for disabled people in home zones
- Guide Dogs report on Shared surface street design
- DfT Inclusive Mobility
- Inclusive design. Guidance from I'DGO based on older people's preferences (December 2009)
- Shared space delineators - are they detectable?: a TfL Report produced by UCL using its Pamela facility suggests corduroy paving is worth trying (May 2010).
SCOTS guidance on use and maintenance
These networks are open to non-members. Weekly news alerts and occasional seminars
Large Scale Projects - ATLAS
- A unique guidance portal on bringing forward large scale development projects from planning through inception to implementation. Team work and early involvement are stressed. ATALS staff will engage directly at any stage on request.
- Advice on how to deal with large developments that have stalled in the recession has been issued by the Advisory Team for Large Applications (ATLAS)