1. Flood and Water Management
The 2010 Act enacted April 2010 requires:
- SUDS on all new developments "where practicable", enforced by planning conditions
- Permeable paving
- Counties and Unitaries to adopt and maintain all new SUDS schemes
- New national standards for approval, adoption and connection to the public sewer.
Find out more in Chris Saunder's report on IHE's special seminar on 21 April 2010.
Read IHE's summary of the Act.
Read the FWMA from IHE Nottingham Branch.
2. SUDS resources
- www.ciria.org.uk/suds/ for Interim Code of Practice, training, adoption issues, publications and case studies.
- SUDS for Roads - the Scottish Government Guide (published August 2009) - an invaluable comprehensive guidance.
- SNIFFER the Scottish research forum.
- Understanding Permeable Paving: Designed to help all those involved with development to understand permeable paving and SUDS.. It includes overall design, long-term performance, costs and adoption issues.
Free from Interpave www.paving.org.uk/permeable.php
- Designing for SUDS: CIRIA courses.
- Case studies from CIRIA, Mayer Brown's research trials at Waterlooville and the Scottish SUDS database.
- SUDSnet: the UK national SUDS network. Register for news and events.
- Hydro has Filterra® - a filtration system diguised as a tree for retrofitting
3. Design and adoption guides
- Read Oxfordshire's SUDS guidance for new developments.
- Cambridgeshire County published the first monitoring results of its Lamb Drove SUDS development. These will inform Defra's 2011 guidance.
- Cambridge City SUDS design and adoption guide (December 2009)
- See the new StormCAD for UK.
4. Assessing flood risk
- Improving Surface Water Drainage - A summary of DEFRA involvements. Includes Surface Water Management Plan Guidance (March 2010).
- Oxfordshire CC and West Sussex CC have been mapping their Drainage Assets.
- Future Funding of flood risk management (Defra, May 2011). Part of consultations on a National Strategy.
- Planning Policy Statement 25: Development and flood risk - sets out the government's spatial planning policy on development and flood risk.
- £2M fund announced to help with risk assessments.
- Local flood risk management portal deing developed for Defra by Halcrow. (29 July 2010)
- Sanderson Associates have launched a website to assist anyone who may face the requirement for a Flood Risk Assessment as part of a planning application or as the first stage in land use feasibility. FloodRisk.co.uk
- CIRIA is the leading provider of training for England and Wales.
- Culvert design and operation guide (C689) published by CIRIA, April 2010.
- Email Phil Chatfield to request access to the Environment Agency's web-based training on SUDS and the Flood & Water Act (Local Authorities only).
- EA has published its report on capacity and skills building.
- FREE EA e-learning on Understanding the F&WM Act legislation.
- Flood risk assessment and brownfield regeneration.